About This Site:

About This Site: My name is Rick Balsamo. For many years I was involved as a volunteer with the camping and other social activities of the Chicagoland Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), and then with those same type of activities with the organization that became the Association of Horizon, a non-profit providing social activities for the disabled that was started by MDA volunteers. This site is a record of my experiences in pictures and words. Please read the background and informational posts about this site and the use of the pictures on it, under the "General" label linked to over on the right side, and consider commenting whenever you can, and most importantly, consider a donation to the Association of Horizon (link).

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Horizon's First Camp: 1976

The first Horizon camp was held in December, 1976, at Camp Villa Marie on Pistakee Lake, in the Chain-O-Lakes area of Northern Illinois northwest of Chicago.  The camp was owned and run by the Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, and consisted of a number of heated, smaller bedroom buildings plus a large mess hall and a main activity center.  A little more detail is provided here.  I didn’t take very many pictures, but I used my new 35mm Canon camera.  Out was my beat up old Kodak Instamatic, with its fixed focal length, and in with the new.  Color film was a little too expensive while I learned, but here are my first few efforts.  It looks like we could have used a little more heat.

Visnu Saengmani, Mike Jarrett, and Kathy Sheehan
One year at Horizon Winter Camp (although I'm pretty sure it was not this first year), Rich Westley and I were there for the whole time, about five days as I recall.  We handled a cabin with about five or six disabled guys, helped out occasionally by some able-bodied guys who would be crashing there for a day or too.  One of our cabin mates was Vishnu, who for reasons unknown to science and lost in time needed frequent trips to the bathroom, an experience that was particularly unpleasant for all involved.  In calling out to either Rich or me for help, he would enjoy taunting us with "Ri...Ri...Ri..." before finishing with either Ri...chie or Ri...cky.  It became quite a laugh, although not anywhere as funny then as it is now, and I am sure I can speak for Rich as well as myself in saying that if we ever find ourselves inebriated in the same place together we could reenact the whole course but farcical affair quite faithfully to the original.  
Marian Liptak, Colleen Hoening, & Phil Macak, with Aaron Adams off on the right
Mike Engels
Aaron Adams
Mike Jarrett sitting on right
Johnny Abell
Mike ?Herzovi
Johnny Angelico & Rich Westley taking bets on the 5th at Arlington, with Dave Boffo in foreground and ? Mike Ervin on far left 

No comments:

Post a Comment