About This Site:

About This Site: My name is Rick Balsamo. For many years I was involved as a volunteer with the camping and other social activities of the Chicagoland Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), and then with those same type of activities with the organization that became the Association of Horizon, a non-profit providing social activities for the disabled that was started by MDA volunteers. This site is a record of my experiences in pictures and words. Please read the background and informational posts about this site and the use of the pictures on it, under the "General" label linked to over on the right side, and consider commenting whenever you can, and most importantly, consider a donation to the Association of Horizon (link).

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

About This Site

My name is Rick Balsamo.  For many years, essentially 1969-1990,  I was involved as a volunteer with the camping and other social activities of the Chicagoland Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) and the organization that became the Association of Horizon, a non-profit providing social activities for the disabled that was started by MDA volunteers. 
 
Over the years I took a lot of photographs, as did many others, and as well many hours of tape recordings of camp skits and songs.  Now that I’m older, slower, and grayer, with kids pretty grown up, I find myself with the time to do more things – like make my photos and recordings more accessible to others and document some history along the way.  This project will take a while, as scanning old photos can be tedious.  But I know that many others enjoy seeing old photo as much as I do, as they conger up fond memories of good times and old friends, those still with us and those who have passed on.       

So through this effort I hope to preserve and refresh memories, for the enjoyment of those of us who lived them and for our families, friends, and others who might find them of interest.  I have been very fortunate to have had these experiences and these friendships that have significantly shaped my life.

Some Technical Comments:

All these photos can be copied by visitors for their personal, non-commercial use – I ask only that those who do such consider a (tax deductible!) donation to the Association of Horizon (link) to support its wonderful ongoing work.  All photos are copyrighted, and are mine unless otherwise indicated. 
 
I anticipate that it will take me a long time to get all my photos and other material up on this site, so revisit periodically to see what’s been added.  Whether this particular vehicle, a Blogger blog, is the best for my purposes will remain to be seen; I suppose at some point it may be necessary to change to something different. 
 
I’ll try to remember to amend the original post with any additional information that fills in details I missed at first.   
 
I’ll try to tag each photo with a number of labels so that all posts with a specific theme can be viewed as a group.  For individuals that will appear a lot in photos, I’ll tag their last name. 

Rick Balsamo

No comments:

Post a Comment